Monday, January 26, 2009

week 4: Part 1, The Met

For my second new experience in NYC I was thinking of going to see a Broadway show. So Sunday morning after having breakfast Justin, Diego and I headed to TKTS to meet Helena and her boyfriend to try to get tickets. Once we got there we stood in line for a while and finally decided there was nothing we really wanted to see that we could get discounted tickets for. So, we decided to go shopping. Justin wanted to go to Nintendo World, which was actually really cool. In the middle of the store they have a little museum of old Nintendo video games, which was fun to see. They have every game ever made for Wii, many which I didn't know existed. After Nintendo world, we headed to H&M, and after a little shopping we decided to get some lunch then head to NBC studio to take one of their tours. As the tours leave every 15 minutes we figured if would be no problem to get in, we were wrong by 2 o clock they were sold out of tours for the day. So, after plan a and b failed we decided it was time to come up with something else.
I am not sure why we didn't think of it before, but we decided to go to The Met. I had heard the Met was gigantic and that it would take more than one day to go through it. Even so, I had no idea it would be so big. As it was Sunday we only had a couple hours before the museum closed. Ever since, we studied Egypt in 3rd grade I have been fascinated by the pyramids. So, it was no question that we had to start our tour in Egypt. It was really amazing to see all the mummies, tombs, art, etc. After Egypt we headed to the Armor section, which is what Justin wanted to see. It was really cool. I am not a big fan of guns but all the swords and armors were really interesting. It's amazing how detailed everything was. By this point we didn't have much time left before the museum closed, so we headed upstairs to look at the Monet pieces they had before we had to leave.
Next time I go to NYC I plan on going back and spend more time looking at all the things we didn't really have a chance to see.
After the Met we decided to split up and take a little break before dinner. Justin and I headed back to the hotel to get warm and relax for a little bit. We then went to Dale and Thomas popcorn and M&m world. If you have never had Dale and Thomas popcorn it's a must when you are in NYC, their popcorn is amazing! Our favorite is the white chocolate peanut butter (thanks Abby for introducing it to me a couple years ago!).
We attempted to go eat at Carmine's which Helena and her bf really liked when they had been to before, but the wait was 1.5 hrs at 8:30 so we decided we didn't really want to wait to eat at 10pm. So, we went down the street to John's Pizzeria, which is where I had eaten with Crusade 2 years ago when we went to see Phantom. The pizza was really good and we didn't have to wait. After dinner, we decided to cross off one more thing off Justin's list: Serendipity. I have been to Serendipity several times now but I am always happy to go back to have another frozen hot chocolate. Justin really enjoyed the experience, so did Helena and her bf. It was really great to be in such an amazing city with Justin and have a chance to catch up with Helena who I hadn't seen in almost 13 years! I didn't get a lot of pictures that night but I'll post some as soon as I get them from Helena.
Monday was our day to return home, but we had a couple more things planned before we did. It's amazing how things work out! It just happened that Denise, who is now in Jersey :(, was going to be in the city Monday. So, after we checked out of the hotel we met up with Denise, JJ, and Porter. Porter had never been to the city so we went to Time Square to walk around for a while and then had lunch at Planet Hollywood. I had never been to Planet Hollywood, so it was a fun experience. I don't know that I'll pay that much again for an ok lunch but it was really good to get to see Denise for a little bit. After lunch we walked around some more then Justin and I headed to the airport. If anyone is traveling to NYC I highly recommend Jetblue, or to anyone where else they fly. Because of weather our flight was delayed almost 2 hrs but we did get to sit in the plane and watch tv. We also got to experience our plane being deiced. I don't know how common it is, but for those who don't know what this is I'll explain it. Because the plane had sat for so long, snow and ice had started to accumulate on the plane. So, before we got to take off we had to go to this little area where 4 power wash time things surround the plane and spray it down. It looked and sounded a lot like a really big car wash.
As every trip to NYC I have taken (6 so far) this one was cold and a lot of fun. I got to experience lots of new things, see some great friends, eat some good food and relax. I love the city, but next time, for the first time I plan on going while it's warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment